Despite the cold, windy evening a few brave members attended Dr Suzanne Tiplady’s March 2018 lecture on 300 years of schooling in Satterthwaite. A church survey of 1718 referred to local education for the poor. Poor parents paid 1p per week to Satterthwaite’s curate who was licensed to be a teacher. Richer parents’ children went to Grammar Schools at Hawkshead or Cartmel. We were entertained by stories about successive school teachers some of whom were also curates. Increasing population led to a school being built because the Chapel was deemed unsuitable and in 1850 money was raised from across the district to build a replacement, joint, village school for Satterthwaite and Rusland with a grand house for the teacher. Donations were received from William Wordsworth and people from the Cartmel area. Shakespeare was taught and teaching was rated as excellent but the introduction of compulsory education in 1876 caused standards to fall and needlework was the only subject mentioned. Information about many of the teachers was illustrated with pictures. The school closed in July 2006 when there were only 9 pupils and 1 teacher left.